Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Microsoft TechNet benefits

Microsoft TechNet subscription is a very handy tool for Windows based IT admins, or people breaking into the IT world. Let me first talk about my entry to the IT world and how TechNet would have helped me.

When I first got started with IT I was already involved with multimedia applications so I knew heavily about the problems of trial software ending before you really got a chance to play with it. The first book I bought was Windows NT Workstation for Dummies, came without Windows NT so I had to get my first real hands on by using an old Windows NT workstation at work. When I enrolled in the Microsoft classes at college the books came with Windows NT Server and Workstation demo keys, they were good for about 60 days.

Back then, it was difficult to find any other software besides the OS and my learning skills were limited to what software was included in the learning books, typically it was only the OS. Not to mention that downloading software on a 56K modem was not the fastest solution. It was after landing my first IT job that I started to work with applications like Microsoft Exchange and other difficult to play with applications.

Now I know people will say "those are available every where" but take for instance a few facts.

1. I didn't know anyone in the IT world.
2. Didn't want to bootleg a CD.
3. Limited to slow download speeds.

It's tough to get the applications to play with.

Now with faster Internet speeds and networking with friends there's many resources but I feel that going with a TechNet account still the best choice. Here's why.

1. Licenses do not expire! - The best thing I like about TechNet is you are given a license key that does not expire after a certain amount of time, now some of the beta software does end but the rest is just like buying a retail license.

2. Easy to find and download any Microsoft IT based application or server - This is a great reason to down load Exchange 2010 and get it working at home over the weekend. Nothing tells you more than getting it work on your own in your personal home lab.

3. Two free incident calls - Each Microsoft incident call is $265, so that is $530 dollars alone in support calls for a price of $300 (regular price, often cheaper with coupons) subscription price.

4. The extras - Microsoft eLearning, On-line chat, etc. I personally do not like the eLearning and just prefer watching simple videos but it's a nice benefit. I have not tested the on-line chat yet but honestly sounds good and I do have some low level nagging questions I haven't been able to debug yet.

The best part of having the applications available is the testing and since it's so easy to access makes you want to try them all out. I can say that even from my previous job I had a hard time accessing some applications even for work testing and learning. Either the media could not be found or the license manager did not have the keys. Here I am the manager and able to install and test all of the Microsoft server and business applications.

I highly recommend this for people just getting into IT. Where in the Linux world many of the applications are free and open source the Windows world is less open source and based upon Microsoft applications. If you have a robust workstation at home, with a good amount of physical member and VMware Workstation you will be set to do almost every possible IT server environment except SAN simulations.

Where to find it?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx

No comments: